Lisa’s Tips, Tricks & Favorite Things
Videos: Soil Blocking
- FAQ: Seed Starting with Soil Blocking
- Low-budget Plants
- Seed Starting Troubles
- Seed Starting: The Pain and the Triumph
- Caring for Seedlings
- In the presence of seedlings….
- Seed Starting, When should you start anyway?
Videos: How-to use TGW Product
Links of Interest
- Find your local cut-flower farmer
- Find your hardiness zone
- Find your frost dates
- Weed ID from Virginia Tech
- Local Harvest
- Soil test: Waypoint Analytics
- Find your local master gardener
- Growing Cut Flowers Like the Pros!
- Amaryllis Make Fabulous Cut Flowers too!
- Get More from your Cut Flowers!
- Cut Flower Harvest Guide
Becoming a Farmer
Books (Affiliate Links*)
- The New Organic Grower, A Master’s Manual of Tools and Techniques for the Home and Market Gardener by
- The Vegetable Gardening Book: Your complete guide to growing an edible organic garden from seed to harvest by Joe Lamp’l
- The Flower Farmer: An Organic Grower’s Guide to Raising and Selling Cut Flowers by
- Good Bug Bad Bug: Who’s Who, What They Do, and How to Manage Them Organically by
- Attracting Beneficial Bugs to Your Garden by
- The Humane Gardener: Nurturing a Backyard Habitat for Wildlife by
- Wildscape: Trilling Chipmunks, Beckoning Blooms, Salty Butterflies, and other Sensory Wonders of Nature by
- If you are growing cut flowers and don’t have Allan Armitage’s books, now is the time! They should be in every farmer’s library. Visit his bookstore and use the code ‘Lisa’ for free shipping. (U.S. domestic orders only).
- Growing for Market magazine has published practical ideas and information for direct market flower and vegetable growers for over 30 years. The magazine is still on the same mission as when The Flower Farmer book author Lynn Byczynski founded it in 1992: to connect growers with the best ideas from other growers.
You’ll find dedicated flower content in every issue, as well as 1,600+ archived articles from flower farmers like Erin Benzakein, Gretel Adams, Pamela & Frank Arnosky, and Jonathan & Megan Leiss available online. With ten new issues every year, available on paper, digital, or both, you’re guaranteed to find something to fine-tune your farm. If you do farmers markets, CSA, farmstand, pick your own, florist sales, or wholesaling, whether you’re a commercial grower or just want to grow like one, subscribe to Growing for Market for the nitty-gritty details of growing, marketing, and the business of local farming.
Use the coupon code WORKSHOP to get 25% off any new subscription at growingformarket.com. (code does not apply to renewals)
Tools of the Trade (Affiliate Links*)
AT-A-GLANCE 2023 Wall Calendar, 20″ x 30″, Extra Large, Spiral Bound, Monthly
*As an Amazon Affiliate, The Gardener’s Workshop may earn a small commission if you purchase using these links within a certain timeframe. This commission is paid by Amazon at no additional cost to you.