Hairy Balls, Gomphocarpus physocarpus - 25 seeds avg.
Fuzzy green pods the size of tennis balls! This member of the milkweed family is a favorite of butterflies, bees, and flower arrangers.
- A warm-season annual that prefers full sun.
- Plant after danger of frost and once soil has warmed.
- Start seeds indoors 4-6 weeks before planting date or cast seeds directly in the garden, spacing 12"-14" apart.
- Cover seed with 1/8” of soil; allow 14-21 days to germinate.
- Grows to 60” tall.
- Pinch when 10" tall to establish a more robust, branching plant.
- 90-120 days to bloom.
Keep the Blooms Coming:
- Produces an insignificant little flower that is followed by the ball-shaped seedpod.
- Harvest pod at any stage, making the harvest cut at the base of the stem.
Anonymous (verified owner) –
North Carolina, United States
Lisa Leonard (verified owner) –
Oklahoma, United States
Joanna (verified owner) –
Kentucky, United States
My Monarch’s love this Milkweed!
sheralyn (verified owner) –
Texas, United States